Monday, September 7, 2009
















Here is my current idea for the first project. I want to make an artistic interpretation of my thesis site which is located in eastern Kentucky in the Appalachian Mountains. The area is mountainous (go figure) so I want to use a metal mesh and create the curves freely. To make this form solid, I am going to use a material such as a wax. I am debating whether I want to put some items within the wax, not sure what though. I want to represent the river with a plastic, possibly saran wrap. There is also a lot of vegetation in the area, so I may want to represent the trees in an abstract manner. Any suggestions on materials?

I wanted to also link this project with photography. So I am going to take a series of detailed photos of each material or of the process of making the model.

In reaction to the class discussion on the location of our first exhibition, although there was a lot of chatter about using the GHH (in reference that it is an "expected" location), it hasn't been used yet for an art show, so why not us?.... For an off campus location, I think Nicks photos of State look pretty intriguing

Let me know if you have any feedback to my choice of materials in the above photo.

1 comment:

  1. I'd stay away from Saran wrap. Too tricky and unforgiving. I'd go with a material that was more stiff: much easier to work with.

    ReplyDelete