Thursday, October 8, 2009

A Call to Arts

Hey gang, I'm in the midst of figuring out the coding components for my next game, and I realized I still have no source for art assets.

Here's the deal: the game takes place on notebook paper. The player controls a stick-figure/sketched person that lives in this land of drawings, and everything is peachy in this world.

One day, words (class notes) start appearing and falling out of the sky, and turning the happy doodles into horrible word-monsters. You, the hero-by-circumstance, will fight them off by throwing erasers and swinging a pencil at them.

The goal of the game is to get to the center of the notebook and 'kill' the source of the notes (an upcoming test review), saving the land of sketches. My intention is that, the better you do in the game, the lower the test score will be. It's like golf!

What I need: I need bizarre creatures that could just be idle drawing in your notebook. White, non-lined paper would be great, along with a few frames of animation for walking. They don't have to be linear or perfect, as I'll be making the sprite sheets.

Given the nature of this game I'll also have my own 'art' in it, but I'd love to work with whoever is willing.

If anyone is really interested, we can talk about monster design, along with the backgrounds and such.

Reply here or email me if you are interested. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dave,

    Your idea reminds me a lot of one of my favorite animators, might be worth for you to check out.

    This guy Don Hertzfeldt, all his animations are done purely analog, kinda trendy, all his figures and such are drawn in b/w outlines like wut you were sayin.

    His early work is comical, more recently tho his videos have more of a serious edge. But take a look at like "the meaning of life" and "everything will be ok," prolly can get some stellar ideas.

    Good luck,
    Mïke-

    ReplyDelete