Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DM Project

I don't know if any of you are reading this during break, but I'm down in New Orleans struggling with how to capture this city in one image. I've been taking some "research shots" I guess at the first st patricks day parade, down in the jazz clubs and walking around the city. I am getting some great portraits but its not really capturing my feelings about the city.  I'm really feeling this idea of new orleans as a welcoming home. So, the base picture would be a house in the garden district around dusk when everyone is sitting on their porches greeting passerbys. Then, I'd like to put a couple of images into the windows of the house so that it was as if the people on the porch were greeting you and welcoming you into their house, and in the house would be the characteristics of new orleans; jazz, food. I'm also toying with the idea of having a streetcar in front of the house. Problems being: the photoshopping. I am not sure if I would be able to pull this off successfully, but I won't know until I try. Its going to be a matter of getting the right angling for the photos so that it looks good, figuring out a good lighting situation so that the photos meld together, and sizing them correctly when I paste them together. I have some ideas that in my head are awesome, but i'm not sure how they'll work out in the real world.
Anyone else struggling?

1 comment:

  1. Struggling? You bet. Big time. Right now. Two days ago we thought we had a disaster. One day ago we thought it would pass but was nothing to wright home about. Only today are we starting to see the light at the end of the "good" tunnel. We're fighting hard to make something good--but we don't always land squarely on it (those projects are silently shuddered from the portfolio site and quietly eliminated from the blog). That said, our best works wouldn't be possible without the massive failures that lead up to them.

    The trick is to keep moving forward even though failure is inevitable for us all.

    ReplyDelete